Welcome to the Oshawa Museum’s online exhibit celebrating the 100+ year history of Oshawa’s Lakeview Park. The shores of Lake Ontario have provided food and a means of transportation, it was explored and settled and today it offers a quiet place of rest and recreation.
On July 16, 1920, approximately 44 acres of lakefront property was sold to the Town of Oshawa from General Motors of Canada for $1. This incredible deal was contingent on one condition, that the land become parkland only and that this never changes. While the area along the lakeshore had long been used as a park, this gift made the area public parkland and accessible to all. One of the first tasks undertaken by the parks board was the selection of a name for the new park. Approximately 240 names were submitted and Lakeview Park was chosen. Although open for use by the public in August of 1920, the park officially opened late in September by Mayor Stacey.
This exhibit will look at the long history of the park and the land through a series of articles and will be updated regularly so check back frequently!
Long before the waterfront became Lakeview Park, the area was hunting grounds and early settlers.
Since the late 19th Century, the shores along Lake Ontario have been a popular recreation site. In 1920, the area officially became a public park known as Lakeview Park.
Today the Park continues to be a place for recreation and relaxation.